Monday, May 2, 2011

Happy Days

"Of course I love it"
Mother’s Day is right around the corner. The countdown has begun – the long lines for flowers are just about to form. Everyone will try NOT to be THE last person to pick out a mother’s day card.

Oh yes; happy, happy, joy, joy…

Moms get all the love and all the nice gifts.


Dads are usually rewarded with a pack of T-Shirts (v-neck or tank top?), an ugly tie, or who can forget about old faithful – a good pair of boxer briefs.

I am not here to be an advocate for equal gifts. I have noticed mother’s day has taken on a life of its own. It will never top Christmas or Valentines’ day but check out the 2008 recorded sales for mother day’s gifts. Let me remind you in 2008 the nation was on the brink of an economic meltdown – or so they wanted us to believe. Yet for this one day, we spent a total of 15 billion dollars.

I am just as guilty as anyone. I have never purchased my father a gift for father’s day. I never kept track of the day until I became a Dad. But like clockwork, when that faithful day in May rolls around I am compelled by some unseen force to show my Mom just how thankful I am to have her in my life.

The roll of a parent is a tough part to play. The role of a Dad is even tougher.

You see Dads cannot complain about not receiving anything nice for father’s day. Mom, well she can let you have it for the next 10 years if you do not come correct. A good Dad knows his role and plays it well. Not for the fame or the glory and definitely not for the father’s day gifts. A good Dad just appreciates the time he spends with his children and hopes one day his children will appreciate him.

Let me take this moment to wish all the moms a HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY and remind everyone, June 19th is right around the corner J

No comments:

Post a Comment