Monday, November 14, 2011

Some Figures Don't Add Up

What is a father figure?


A Father Figure? I DON'T THINK SO!

Since the news of the Penn State “situation” broke I have heard the term father figure used to describe Joe Paterno. Many of his former players have come out publicly and called Paterno a father figure.

I’m taking exception to that…

A father would never place his children in danger. A father would not turn away while a known pedophile was stalking children in his community.

There is no substitute for a father. I’m sure if Paterno’s children were attacked he would have took action (like a father should). But because his children were not attacked his duties as a “father figure” are minimal.

No clergy, coach, mentor, or other individual society has deemed as a suitable substitute should be expected to carry the responsibility of a father.

Maybe it is a bit unfair to place this pressure on one man. I mean to be a father figure to a couple of THOUSAND children is a big responsibility. And that is my point!

Instead of looking for father figures; more than ever we need fathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment