Monday, February 14, 2011

It’s All About Progression…

I recently sat down in front of the television and saw a young girl with the charisma of a superstar. She moved and sang with such flair I was surprised when I discovered her age. Willow Smith is a testament of how parents can help a child succeed. Looking at this child prodigy and the way she performs, it is easy to surmise --- her Dad taught her how to move the crowd.

Initially I was turned off by Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Why would two well off parents encourage their child to become a child star. Most individuals suffer burnout before puberty. Under further review I realized the move was made by two parents who support their child’s decision to pursue her dreams and continue the family business. Would it bother me if an electrician showed his child how to read an electrical drawing?

Unlike many child stars, Willow’s parents are successful in their crafts so this does not appear to be a case of parents attempting to live out their dreams through their children.

Many of us do not have wealthy parents but we have positioned ourselves to help our children succeed. My mother brought me to a certain point in life with the knowledge she had obtained, I had to continue from that point; not fall back. I can not allow my children at any time to fall back to where I was. That would be a direct reflection of me; A failing grade in the Dad’s hand book.

I am not a believer in the adage of letting your children work as hard as you did because your children will not appreciate or value hard work. Our children are competing on a global scale; it is not good enough to be the best on the block because the block stretches from Maine to China. You have the ability to leave behind a good trail for your child to follow. Show them everything you know.

As parents we must teach our children what works and what does not work. If parents earns all the riches in the world but fails to show their children the secrets to their success, that parent has placed their child at a disadvantage.

So for now, forget the Joneses… Just try to keep up with the Smiths.


KEY POINTS

  • Never stop learning – The more knowledge you obtain, the more you can pass on.

  • Pass on the knowledge – Teach your children the same skills you know. They may not want to follow your footsteps but you should allow them to make that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment