Friday, July 15, 2011

I Say NO...

A tragic event in my old neighborhood only has reinforced my belief that as a parent it is ok to say no to your children.

The details of the child’s murder shocked me for two reasons…
One, I have a child who is close to the age of the victim, and I could not imagine what evil must run through an adults mind to hurt a helpless child in the manner.
Two, the reason why the young boy was allowed to walk home alone by himself. The reports of the boy begging him Mom to let him walk home alone saddened my heart even more. As a parent I can sympathize with the mother because I have heard it before…

“You NEVER let me do anything”
“But (insert random friend’s name here) Dad lets him (insert random act)”
The list goes on...

Sure, there is a certain amount of independence every child should have. Every child should be allowed to clean their bedroom Alone, every child should be allowed to study ALONE, and every child should be allowed to sleep in their own bed ALONE – Do you sense the sarcasm? I hope so.

It is unfortunate but these are the times we live in. I admit; tragic events that took young Leiby Kletzky away are not the norm. The facts show the odds of someone abducting and murdering your child are miniscule BUT a responsible parent should never take that bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment