Monday, August 15, 2011

NEEDS vs. WANTS

What happens when adults behave like children?

Over the past several days I have been amazed by the controversy surrounding two of my oldest friends… That’s right; Bert and Ernie.

This pseudo argument has nothing to do with children.

For the record, I believe every man and woman has the right to marry (and divorce) whom ever they choose BUT why make an attempt to sexualize every aspect of a child’s life? The answer is simple – Because they WANT to.

No one NEEDS the two best friends to get married. No child is watching PBS and wondering “A, B, C…Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder if Bert and Ernie are married?”
Instead a group WANTS them to get married. For no reason other than furthering their cause.

I have listened to people speak regarding why the two best friends should get hitched, and I have yet to hear anyone make a case for why they NEED to get married. I hear “because children need diversity.” Really? As if monsters, fairies, muppets, humans, and a seven-foot yellow bird living on a make-believe side street is not diverse enough.

C’mon! Enough already.

When I hear people discuss this, I feel like I’m listening to my child tell me how much he NEEDS a new X-box game. I have to correct him and try to make him understand he doesn’t NEED it; he WANTS it. Maybe when he’s an adult he will understand the difference between NEEDS and WANTS.

I have an idea… Maybe Bert and Ernie can talk about the difference between NEEDS and WANTS J.

No comments:

Post a Comment