Monday, January 3, 2011

One In A Million...

I received an e-mail from a reader that made me realize just how far Dads have fallen in our society. The reader; who wanted to send me a compliment, described me as “one in a million.” At first I was flattered. Then reality set in.

The fact is; I am not one in a million. I do not even think I’m one in a thousand. Truth is I am probably not even the best Dad in my extended family. Of course the e-mailer was exaggerating but the comment is a reflection of just how society looks at men who choose to be involved Dads.

I am not the exception, I am not an anomaly, and we are not a dying breed!

However, some of us are struggling to voice our views and opinions on parenting because we have learned to suppress our feelings. I was a sufferer of this mentality for a short time. As a young man, it was a blessing to be around real men who understood the importance of a Dad’s role in a child’s life and I owe it to them to pass this knowledge on to my son and other young men.

Good Dads should be proud and look for young men to help mentor into fatherhood. Relax, this is not a posting promoting sex but if the goal of our species is to procreate and survive; Why not encourage the best to move forward? Each time I teach my son something new I ask him; who will he teach? In the beginning he would say his dog, but now he says his children.

I believe one problem that saddles the men of our society is we tend to wait. Many men believe we have forever to spread a message. Old timers are left to preach to young men about responsibility and the message is often lost in translation. The average 21 year old man does not want to hear Bill Cosby stress the importance of raising a strong nation of men.

Young men are bombarded from many directions on “how we are supposed to act.” Fast cars and bling are more attractive than stability and relationships. Just imagine how many young men would react to (insert favorite artist here) singing a song about how cool it is to be a Dad and to watch someone grow and help shape their future. If an artist can make a song about Jesus that is celebrated in the grungiest of nightclubs; who is to say Dads can’t get some love?

So thank you for the compliment e-mailer X but I am not one in a million. I am just one of millions.

KEY POINTS
  • Discuss parenting with young men.
  • Identify the potential in all young men.
  • Become a mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment