Thursday, December 30, 2010

Do All Dings (Things)....

I’ve noticed my grammar and mastery of the English language has doubled and in some instances tripled since I acquired the title of Dad. In the past I would listen as children just learning to express themselves would say such cute expressions as babbit (rabbit) and memba (remember). Today I cringe and correct when my little one doesn’t pronounce his constants.

Call it obsessive or controlling but I believe the earlier children learn the proper way to use their correct dialect the better off the child will be if called upon to explain a situation or ask for assistance.

The corrections should be focused on making it fun to properly pronounce words. Rewards as positive enforcers may help some children develop proper speech patterns but be careful because the child may want a reward every time. I would reward if my child caught the mistake and made the correction himself. This technique made him self aware of the slip and also teaches accountability.

So the next time you hear “Dat dog is lost cause he can’t memba his way home”, smile and remember its part of our job description to correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment