Monday, December 27, 2010

The End Of The Road...

When does the responsibility of being a Dad end? Presidents are elected every 4 years, Supreme Court Justices are appointed for life and almost every position has an end date. But when do Dads get to retire?

Recently an associate of mine had the horror of reliving his own son’s murder when the 5 year anniversary of his death came up. I could not begin to comprehend what type of emotions he must have felt…..guilt, pain, sorrow?  To bury a child is every parent’s worst nightmare. While talking to him about the incident (which was caught on video) I could sense his anger for the individual who pulled the trigger. He made a comment that he would love to take revenge on the killer and as a committed dad I totally understand his point of view. What Dad wouldn’t want to carry out judgment on his son’s killer? The reason he gave was simple; He owed it to his son.

His explanation made me think. When does my responsibility to my son end? Does death really do us part? If something tragic were to happen to him, would I be required to close out his unfinished business? What if I were to perish unexpectedly? Should I care if he is able to continue living the same lifestyle I have been providing for him so far? What if my son became a dad one day after my death? Would I not be responsible for his offspring? These questions raced through my mind and each one lead to the same conclusion.

I believe as long as the bloodlines continue it’s my responsibility to help the next generation succeed.

Hopefully my son will grow to be a great Dad and tell stories of how granddad was able to provide help for his grandchildren and great grandchildren.
All parents will pass away but our legacies have the ability to continue for years after we are gone.

With the New Year right around the corner, now is a good time for parents to consider future financial and caretaker plans. Some parents fail to plan for the days when they are no longer around, leaving children with debt and legal issues to worry about. Responsible parents should have a will and some sort of estate planning (at a minimum) to lessen the burden children will face during a time that is sure to be stressful. Executors of the will should be trusted adults if young children are the beneficiaries and older children should be made aware of what to expect in the will.

People don’t like to talk about death but like the conversation that started this entry it’s sad but necessary.

KEY POINTS
  • Plan for worst case scenarios (Wills, Estate Planning).
  • Have trusted adults ensure plans are carried out.
  • Remember, a child’s future is your responsibility.

1 comment: